We’ve been working nonstop on the master bedroom. We’ve made a few mistakes along the way – which, of course, slowed down the progress! Like any DIY project – you will make mistakes, but you do learn by those mistakes!
The first thing we did was empty out the room and removed the worn out, 15 year old carpet! I’m so glad to see that gone! I never want carpet again!
Don’t you just love that faux finished wall and the flower garland border! I promise it was so “in” 15 years ago!!! I didn’t take a before of the gorgeous ceiling fan that left the room – but I’m sure you can just picture it! To say our bedroom has been put on the back burner is an understatement!
So, here’s a view of the wall color – it’s Benjamin Moore Silver Mist – a soft, silvery blue. This is a real departure from the rest of my home, which I’ve kept pretty neutral. The light fixture was a great bargain found at the Pottery Barn Outlet. It’s the Capiz Chandelier and normally retails online for $199. I paid $45! Love the PB Outlet!
This picture is so much better than the first, but the wall color looks darker here – the color in the first photo is much more accurate! Again, this chandelier is a big departure in style for me. With the wall color and the chandelier choice, it would be easy to have a beach theme in this room, but I’m going for a totally different, more eclectic style. Hopefully it will all come together the way I envision it!
This is a closeup of the pretty capiz shells on the chandelier! I love that they are real shells!
Now for the floors – what do you do when you don’t want carpet, but you can’t afford the hardwood you really want – paint the subfloor! I learned this trick from my dear blogging friend, KariAnne at Thistlewood Farms! We have a plush area rug ordered that will cover most of the floor, but the diamond pattern will show around the edges.
This is the mistake that slowed down our progress – I didn’t prime the subfloor. I wanted quick results, so I skipped this very important step! Don’t make my mistake! We had the entire floor finished – 3 base coats, diamonds painted perfectly, and sealed with a water based poly. After the final poly coat, areas of wood grain and a few stains showed up in an ugly brown!!!! Trust me – don’t skip the primer – ever! So, I primed the entire floor, painted another base coat, drew in the diamond pattern, painted those lovely diamonds once more, and then finished with the poly – DONE!
The floor base coat is a custom mix that I have used for all the trim in my home – it’s a soft white. The diamonds were painted in Benjamin Moore Silver Chain. The painted subfloor isn’t perfect – there are visible seams and I didn’t bother to fill the nail holes in the subfloor. If this were a more permanent solution and the rug wasn’t going to cover most of the floor, I would have taken the time to do that.
Of course, we gave all the trim a fresh coat of paint as well as some fresh, bright white on the ceiling! What a difference paint can make to a room! We are adding some new baseboard next and I’m working on some furniture makeovers for the room that I can’t wait to show you!
Hope your week is off to a great start!
Sharing today at: