A while back I was looking at the lovely images on the Anthropologie website and I fell in love with this. This is a one-of a-kind, Circa 1880 lace etched arched mirror by artist, Jo Gibbs. It sells for $5,800!!!
That began my quest to find a large mirror or frame, similar in shape, so I could try to make one myself! After months of searching at my local haunts, I finally came upon this vintage dresser mirror for $10. In this picture, the actual mirror has already been removed and I had my local hardware store cut a piece of glass to fit the frame. The glass is held in the frame with silicone caulk.
My next step was to search for some lace. I gave up on the vintage lace idea since I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on this project. I found some inexpensive lace fabric and lace trims at different local fabric outlets. I forget to take pictures of this step, but basically I lined up the lace on the back of the glass frame. When I got the layered look that I wanted, I used low-tack spray adhesive to attach the rows of lace to the back of the glass. I then applied a few thin coats of off white spray paint over top of the lace. After the paint had dried, I carefully removed the actual lace. Here is how the glass frame looked after the lace was spray painted and removed.
Then I painted and distressed the actual frame. First, I used Frog Tape to tape off the glass.
Then I used Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray from a previous project to paint the frame. Once the paint was dry, I lightly distressed the frame with sandpaper. Here’s a close up of the painted frame, but it was taken after the next step was completed.
For the final step, I decided I wanted to go with a mercury glass effect to make it look like a real vintage mirror. I used Krylon’s Looking Glass spray paint. This was my first time using this paint so I read several other blogs that had used it to achieve the mercury glass effect. What worked for me was several light coats of the Looking Glass spray paint, drying between each coat (sprayed on the back of the glass over top of the spray painted lace).
After the final coat was dry, I mixed up equal parts water and white vinegar in a spray bottle and liberally sprayed it onto the surface of the looking glass paint. I let the beaded water sit for about five minutes. I dampened some paper towels with the same water/vinegar mixture and lightly went over the frame dabbing the wet painted surface until some of the paint was removed. You need to be careful on this step because you don’t want to remove too much. Removing some of the paint gives the aged mirror, mercury glass effect. It was hard to capture the lace because of the mirror finish, but I think you can see it on this one.
Here is the finished piece on my mantel! I like the subtlety of the lace and the old weathered look! As I was staging my mantel, my husband walked in after a long day of work. I was so proud of my accomplishment of finally completing this project and the look achieved. I asked him what he thought – “if you wanted a beat up old mirror, why didn’t you just buy one to start with!”
On another note, I’ve made a few updates to my blog and I’m still working on more changes. My goal is to have a blog that is easy to navigate and not too busy! Since Google Reader is a thing of the past, I removed the Google Friend Connect link from my sidebar. You can still have my posts delivered in a reader by using the Bloglovin’ button. I also added a link for you to have my posts delivered to your e-mail in the side bar and at the end of each post. I hope you like these features and will use them to follow along with me!
Another goal I have for my blog is to post more regularly. To start, I’ve decided to try posting every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday! So, please stop back on Wednesday to read about a special baby shower that I recently helped with! There will be free printables and lots of baby shower inspiration shared!
Today’s post is being shared at: