It’s only Week 2 of the One Room Challenge and here I am, behind in my plan! For this week, I was going to show you my closet – completely finished. Well, throw that plan out the window! Instead, I’m watching paint dry! Okay, so let me explain the plan for the closet and what I DID get done for the One Room Challenge Week 2! You can see my plan for my home office space in last week’s post HERE.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see full disclosure at the bottom of this page.
The closet is your basic builder grade closet that had bi-fold doors. We (Mark) removed the bi-fold doors and track. I wanted French doors and we decided to make our own by purchasing two basic slab doors (a slab door is a door that has no hinges or hardware and no hole for a doorknob). By measuring the opening for the closet, Mark determined that we needed two 24″ x 80″ slab doors. Then we purchased 2″ x 4″ furring strips to create some panels for the doors. Mark measured and cut the furring strips to size and then attached them with glue and finishing nails using a pneumatic gun. Then, he sanded the trim because the furring strip wood is typically pretty rough. Then it was my turn to work on the details. I filled in small gaps and nail holes with wood filler. Then used caulk to fill in around where the furring strips were attached to the door. This really makes the finished product look more professional. I have to say, this is what took a lot of time; but it was worth it in the end. Once the wood filler and caulk was dry, then it was time to paint.
Because the door was raw wood, I painted it first with a coat of primer. I used a custom mix paint to match the rest of the trim paint in my home. It is an oil based paint and if you have worked with oil based paints before, you know that it takes a looooooong time to dry and cure! But, the finished product is hard as nails! Now, most people don’t use oil based paint and, in fact, it can be hard to find. But, because all of the trim and doors in our home had been painted in oil based paint prior to us moving in, we’ve kept it that way because you can’t paint over oil based paint with latex unless you prime first. And, I have yet to find a latex paint that holds up to wear and tear like oil based paint. Oil based paint has serious fumes and you need to work in a well ventilated area, but I love the finish it gives. I used a Valspar oil based paint in a satin finish. The doors are too tacky to hang, but hopefully we will be able to do that this evening.
For the closet interior, we used two sheets of 4 ft. x 8 ft. 3/4″ particle board cut down to make four shelves. I used the same paint for the shelves because it will hold up well with things being slid on and off. I also refreshed the trim around the closet opening and gave the window frame in the room a fresh coat as well. The photo below is the closet before – stay tuned for closet after shots next week!
I ordered my desk and it arrived already! I ended up purchasing this one from Birch Lane. They had a great Columbus Day sale over the weekend and this desk had better reviews than the one from Target that was my original choice. It’s also slightly longer, so more desk space is always a good thing!
And, my wallpaper arrived and I love it! I’m going to take it with me to the paint store today and make a final decision on wall paint. I wish I had more to share with you, but there’s always next week!
For next week’s update, my plan is to have the closet complete, the ceiling and walls painted, the wallpaper wall primed, and have the wallpaper hung. That may be pie in the sky – but, I’m gonna do as much as I can. Wish me luck!!!
Don’t forget to stop by Calling it Home to see the other One Room Challenge Week 2 entries for this week! Hopefully, you’ll see more progress in those rooms than in mine – ha, ha!!!