This cream cheese and pepper jelly baked appetiser takes a classic spread to the next level by baking it in puff pastry! It’s perfect for a fall or winter charcuterie board!
Here in Pennsylvania, the early fall weather has been amazing! Warm sunshine and cool temps is perfection in my book! Fall is probably the season I look forward to most! Crunchy leaves, sweater weather, and cozy everything! And, since this is the first Saturday of October, my friends and I are sharing all things cozy! Over the past months, I’ve attended some gatherings where there were charcuterie boards that featured cream cheese smothered with pepper jelly as a spread for crackers. Cream cheese with pepper jelly is the perfect sweet and tangy flavor combination!
So, I decided to take it to the next level by baking the cream cheese and pepper jelly combination inside puff pastry! And, let me tell you, it was just as amazing as I thought it would be!!! This is such an easy recipe and is so delicious with fresh apples, crackers, or pretzels. Use it alone as an appetiser or add this hot cheese spread to your fall charcuterie boards! I promise you’re gonna love it!
BAKED CREAM CHEESE AND PEPPER JELLY IN PUFFED PASTRY
First, I let my cream cheese soften. Then, I formed each 8 oz. cream cheese block into a ball, wrapped it in cellophane, and flattened it slightly to form a disk. I popped each wrapped disk of cream cheese into the freezer. Next, I thawed out the puff pastry (which takes about 40 minutes). Once it was thawed, I rolled it out on a floured surface.
I removed the two disks of cream cheese from the freezer and opened them. Then, I placed the first disk in the middle of the puff pastry. Next, I spread a generous layer of the pepper jelly on the disk and topped that layer with the other cream cheese disk.
I used an egg wash to brush the inside of the puff pastry before wrapping it around the cream cheese. Then, I wrapped the pastry around the cream cheese to resemble a pumpkin by folding up each corner to the top. There is definitely enough pastry at the top to form a stem like I did (shown below). But, you can wrap it any way you want. Once completely wrapped, I brushed the outside of the pastry with the egg wash. This will help to seal the pastry around the cream cheese and make it golden and shiny when baked.
I baked the pastry wrapped cheese on a parchment lined baking tray at 425 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes until the crust was golden brown. Doesn’t it look pretty with the crackers and apple slices! And, better yet, it tastes sooooo good!
- 2 blocks 8 oz. Cream Cheese
- 1 jar Pepper Jelly
- Puffed Pastry (found in the freezer section)
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Let cream cheese soften.
- Form cream cheese blocks into two balls, wrap in clear cellophane and flatten slightly to form a disk. Place both disks in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Once your puffed pastry is thawed, roll it out on a floured surface.
- Remove the cheese disks from the freezer and place one disk in the center of the puffed pastry.
- Spoon a generous layer of pepper jelly over the first cream cheese disk.
- Place the second cream cheese disk on top of the layer of pepper jelly.
- Use a brush to apply an egg wash to the inside of the puff pastry before folding it over the cream cheese.
- Fold the puff pastry over the cream cheese to encase it. I folded mine by pulling each corner up to the center and folding as needed. This makes a pumpkin like shape. There is plenty of pastry to form a stem.
- Brush the egg wash over the entire outside of the pastry. This helps to secure the seams and makes the pastry shiny and golden brown when baked.
- Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 20 - 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OCTOBER COZY LIVING POSTS
Now, let’s see what my Cozy Living friends are sharing for October! Just follow the links below to see each one!