Fresh strawberry pie is a favorite at our home this time of year. When my boys were in school, I made this pie as an end of school teacher appreciation gift. I baked the pie in a nice stoneware pie dish for the teacher to keep and included a recipe card.
What I think makes this pie, THE BEST, is the addition of a layer of cream cheese spread on the pie crust before adding the strawberries. Plus, the homemade strawberry glaze is soooooo much better than the store bought gel! So, I hope you all think this is THE BEST strawberry pie, just like my family!
At the end of the post is a printable recipe card!
THE BEST STRAWBERRY PIE
2 quarts fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 TBS cornstarch
4 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
homemade or refrigerator pie crust
First, prepare your berries. Wash them thoroughly, cap, hull, and slice in half.
And, here’s the printable recipe!
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 TBS cornstarch
- 4 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
- homemade or refrigerator pie crust
- Thoroughly wash berries.
- Cap, hull, and slice berries in half.
- Prepare your pie crust. Flute pie crust edges and pierce the bottom of the crust with a fork to prevent bubbling. Bake in the oven for the amount of time suggest for a single pie crust.
- Let the crust cool completely and then carefully spread the softened cream cheese over the sides and bottom of the crust.
- Set aside one cup of strawberries for the glaze.
- Layer the remaining strawberries in the pie crust.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together 1 cup strawberries and 2/3 cup water. Simmer for four minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 1/3 cup water. Use a whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Add the mixture to the simmered strawberries and water and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute until it thickens to a strawberry glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the strawberry pie.
- I like to halve a few large strawberries and arrange them in the center of the pie and then add one large strawberry on top.
- Chill in refrigerator until completely set.