Growing up on a farm, I can remember my mother and grandmother making apple dumplings every fall during apple harvest season! They were soooo good. Sometimes we would have an apple dumpling as an evening meal, and I can even remember my grandfather having a warm apple dumpling with milk for breakfast! Not the healthiest thing to have for breakfast, but as a hard-working farmer, those calories were easily burned! Apple dumplings are definitely a Pennsylvania Dutch favorite and are a staple here in Lancaster County. The Historic Ephrata Cloister even has an apple dumpling festival every fall. If you’ve never had an apple dumpling, you are missing out!!!
easy apple dumplings
- 8 Medium Granny Smith Apples
- Two 15 oz. packages refrigerated pie crusts
- APPLE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 TBS butter, softened
- SYRUP INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 C water
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 C butter
- Combine sugar, water, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup butter. Set syrup aside.
- Combine apple filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Mix with a fork until you have a crumb consistency.
- Cut each pie crust in half. Form each half into a ball and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll into 8 inch circles.
- Place each apple onto the center of each circle and fill the empty core with the crumb filling.
- Fold the dough over the apples, pinching at the top to seal.
- Place each apple in a lightly greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Drizzle with the syrup.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 – 45 minutes until crust is golden brown. Tent with foil if crust is browning too much.
Delicious served warm with vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these yummy cupcakes that are another fall treat in our home!